
Here is about 800 - 900 g of white merino I decided to spin up instead of spending ages picking bits out of the alpaca. It was bought from the same people who carded the alpaca for me, and it is also quite bitty and there are noils all the way through it. We live and learn!So anyway, a few years ago I knitted my daughter a cardigan using the Tekapo yarn, and I think it needed 4.5mm needles, and was a fast knit. So I've tried to make this yarn similar, but a bit thicker to hopefully knit on 5mm needles, so the extra big jumper goes fast too!
I was going to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method to make a raglan jumper using my own calculations, but having spent some time looking at jumpers made for big guys that way, I don't think the formula works as well as I'd like. They look a bit tight around the shoulders, and the neck seems wrong. If I was a good knitter I'm sure I could alter it somehow, but I'm not, so I've just bought the man raglan pattern from knitting pure and simple, and am waiting for it to arrive...Exciting stuff!!
Your handspun merino looks great. Good luck with the jumper!
ReplyDeleteLovely looking yarn, will be a lovely jumper x
ReplyDelete