Leaves and Blossoms

Leaves and Blossoms

Monday, September 5, 2011

Potting

I've always loved clay, and find absolute beauty in hand thrown pots. Far more than any made pot.

After our first was born I started an evening class learning all the basics, and I really enjoyed it.
When we moved here we saw an old kick wheel for sale, so we bought it and I had some happy hours creating various utensils on it. When I was pregnant with our second I found I couldn't kick the wheel anymore without my leg cramping up, and then after that my life has been rather busy, and even if I had the time, I would just want to sleep.
But over the last few years I have been able to dabble once again on the wheel. However, whenever the children see me on the wheel, they too want a go, and usually it has just been a fun session together.

We have even fired their little pots in the bottom of the bonfire....


Blackened, but waterproof. A pinch pot.


But now we have the two in school, and our youngest in preschool for a couple of mornings I have decided to join a class once again. I went this morning, and so much came back to me!
I made lots of wildly different (hopefully) mugs, and am able to try all sorts of glazes and slip techniques.

It was a wonderful morning!

I hope to either take my camera, or even bring some pieces home soon. The next month of Tuesdays is going to be fairly hectic though... I don't want to commit to too much, as I have over stretched myself before, and thats no fun.

But for now I hope to enjoy more classes, and make some mugs and cups and beakers, and bowls for our family to use.

In the future I can make things at home and they will fire and glaze them there too. Very exciting.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful it would be to use pots etc. made by myself. I would love that. Can't wait to see the pieces you have created. It must be exciting to see how the glaze or slip has turned out!
    Much love

    ReplyDelete